Monday, July 5, 2010

Movie review Monday!

So, it's another month and it's time for a new series of "Movie review Monday"..!

This month, it'll be romantic comedies. Now, I normally don't like romance movies, or even romantic comedies, but I have a few that I enjoy and I'm generally willing to see a new movie, even if it's romantic comedy.

This month may be a little bare bones for blogging. There's a lot going on, both at work and at home, that's got me too exhausted to really blog. Fear, not, though! I'll be sure to blog when I get the chance or have something, well... Worthy to blog about. :P

Anyway... On to the review!

This week's movie review is for...

So, I Married an Axe Murderer


Now, I'm a HUGE fan of Mike Myers. He's been an all-time favorite comedic actor of mine and while some of his jokes and characters tend to be used, re-used, and recycled from one movie to the next, I don't ever really get tired of it. This movie has been an old standby for me when I can't find anything else to watch and really just wanna veg out on the couch. Definitely love this movie!

Visual:  7 - This got such a crummy number because there aren't really any special effects. Not saying that a romantic comedy needs special effects, but whatever. The reason this didn't get an even crummier number is because the scene direction, camera angles, props, and the places in this movie are pretty sweet. I mean, you've got the archetypal coffee shop with beatniks, Alcatraz (though, I'm not sure if it was really shot inside of Alcatraz) and the boat scene with Charlie and his cop-friend Tony are pretty nice. I'd say that a seven is pretty fair.
Acting:  7 - It's a comedy. And a romantic one at that. With Mike Myers. So, the acting doesn't have to be spot-on, but it's pretty good. I think this got such a high number because Mike Myer's plays not only Charlie, but Charlie's father as well, who just so happens to be Scottish, with a very thick accent, who also picks on a boy he calls "Heed". Charlie is a paranoid guy who's afraid of commitment. You don't really need a whole hell of a lot of acting skill to pull this kind of stuff off, so, again, I think 7 is pretty fair.
Story/Backstory:  10 - This is certainly a different kind of love story. Charlie, who is paranoid and afraid of commitment to the point of breaking up with girls because they smell like soup, meets Harriet, a butcher who sells him haggis and lives with her sister Rose and has a friend named Ralph. Charlie gets paranoid after reading an article in The Weekly World News about a woman called "Mrs. X" who kills her husbands on their honeymoon and knows the song Only You in, like, six languages. Charlie is suspicious of Harriet, and beatnik poems ensue. Not much of a story, but it's definitely different and very funny.
Score/Soundtrack:  8 - Not much a mood setter, but there are some good ol' 90's hits in there like "Two Princes" and "There She Goes"... Not to mention The Bay City Rollers have a song tucked in there that'll get you rolling. I'd own the soundtrack, if it was still in production, if that says anything, though I wouldn't admit to owning it, even to myself. :P
Characters/Character Development:  8 - Eh, it was okay. Not a ten, because there isn't much character development other than Charlie swallowing his paranoia and the "Oh, shit!" moment toward the end. This gets close to a ten, because not only does Mike Myers pull off a good paranoid beatnik, he also pulls of a disgruntled old Scotsman who picks on a kid with a giant head. Good stuff!
Overall:  8 - Pretty funny movie, nice little twists, and Mike Myers to boot. While this was his first mainstream "success" after the Wayne's World movies, and it kinda flopped, I still liked it pretty hardcore. Maybe I'm just that in love with a guy who just seems like he's as ridiculous in real life as he is in movies that has me watching this movie again and again. Or maybe I just like movies that everybody else hates, since this movie has never gotten a good review. Don't worry Mike Myers, I still love you, no matter how crappy they say your movies are!

2 comments:

  1. Ohh wow I had totally forgotten about this movie. I love the Heed, heed bit. And isn't this the movie where they first mention that KFC uses and addictive ingredient.

    Have to fnd a copy and watch it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Sissy:

    Stuart: Look at the size of that boy's heed.
    Tony: Shh!
    Stuart: I'm not kidding! It's like an orange on a toothpick!
    Tony: Shh! You're gonna give the boy a complex!
    Stuart: Well, that's a huge noggin! That's a virtual planetoid.
    Tony: SHH!
    Stuart: It has it's own weather system!
    Tony: SHH, SHH, SHH!
    Stuart: HEED! MOVE! I'm not kidding, that boy's head's like Sputnik; spherical but quite pointy at parts. Now, that was offside, wasn't it? He'll be crying himself to sleep tonight on his huge pillow!

    ---

    For Mrs. Midnight:

    Stuart: Well, it's a well known fact, Sonny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as The Pentavirate, who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as The Meadows.
    Tony: So, who's in this Pentavirate?
    Stuart: The Queen, The Vatican, The Rothschilds, AND Colonel Sanders before he went tits up. Oh, I hated The Colonel with his wee BEADY eyes, and that smug look on his face. "OH! You're gonna buy my chicken! OHHHH!"
    Charlie: Dad, how can you hate THE COLONEL?
    Stuart: BECAUSE HE PUTS AN ADDICTIVE CHEMICAL IN HIS CHICKEN THAT MAKES YOU CRAVE IT FORTNIGHTLY, SMART-ASS!


    You gotta love it. It IS available as instant watch on Netflix, which is convenient when I don't want to hunt down the DVD amongst the five billion Mom and I own together. :P

    ReplyDelete