Wednesday, May 18, 2011

New hobby

So, it's been a very long time since I've last posted anything on this blog, so I figured I may as well dust the ol' thing off and send an update to those who might actually still give a damn. :P

So, I've been an ex-smoker for nearly a month. I say 'nearly' simply because I did slip up about a week ago and had a cigarette after not having one for nearly three weeks... It ended poorly. I felt horribly sick and had to take medicine to calm my suddenly raging stomach just to keep from violently ejecting shards of my pelvis into the toilet. I exaggerate, honestly, but it really made me feel wretched. That was a few weeks ago, and I try to remember that every time I feel the urge to pick up a smoke.

It's all thanks to Chantix, of course, though it gave me some rather wild dreams. Let's just say that I won't miss dreaming about pulling worms from my nose (and feeling them wriggle in my throat and sinuses as I did so), bleeding walls (I could smell the blood), or picking up the dismembered paws of my cats and trying to sew them back on (the thread kept breaking and I couldn't stop crying)... And I certainly won't miss smelling like a cigarette butt.

On that note, though, I've had to find something else to do with my hands, just to keep me from having the urge to pick up a smoke. While World of Warcraft, Portal, and Castlevania tend to fill up the time, I find that the more time I spend on the computer or playing video games, the more inclined I feel to pick up a cigarette as those nicotine sticks were my best friends while sitting in front of the old idiot boxes.

You see, I have a bucket list and have for a good number of years, now. Sure, I haven't even reached the age of 30, yet, but it's never too early to start one. There are several things to this bucket list that I'm sure are staples to everyone's bucket lists:  learning a new language, visiting a foreign country, taking over the world swimming with dolphins... You know, the usual. Well, I've got a few things on my bucket list that your average Joe (or Jane, in this case) probably wouldn't have...

... Cosplay.

Now... I know what you're thinking... You're imagining this, aren't you?

Yeah... No. By all that is holy, this is NOT what I'm going for and if it were to ever turn out like this and I actually attempted to leave the house, I'd pray that somebody would either shoot me, stop me, or shoot me to stop me.


I may be a geek, a nerd, and one helluva gamer and anime fan, but I have SOME wits about me and SOME dignity. I may have slipped up in the past and done some stupid shit, but if I looked anywhere near this girl I wouldn't attempt such a stunt, much less a stunt that involves me wearing dental floss made of cheap fur and a bubblegum pink wig.


Yeah, this is the effect I'm going for.

Which, by the way, just so happens to be the actual costume I'm making. Now, keep in mind that this girl (Akuriko, is her name) completely puts me to shame. Not only is she gorgeous, she's gorgeous dressed as a video game character (Princess Zelda from "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess"), which makes me more than just a little jealous. However, Miss Akuriko has been so very kind as to lend me a few pieces of helpful advice in regards to this costume, so I have high hopes that her wisdom, my research, and a great deal of patience will yield something just as beautiful. I certainly don't want to leave the house with my ass hanging out, because despite the fact that I might be scrawny, I certainly haven't the curves (or guts) to pull off some of the stuff those sexy Asian chicks do. I'm not sexy and I'm not Asian. So I won't even try. I can pull of pretty, though, so I'll stick with what I know.

I can honestly say that I've spent the past week covered in polymer clay, craft foam, metallic paint, and have probably killed more than a few trees with printed patterns and reference pictures (these included, of course).

Well... With one addiction gone, so comes another. I hope that if this particular costume turns out well, then I may make this a new hobby of mine. Besides, I always did love to play dress up and it's a helluva lot better than turning my lungs black, right?

Right.

Wish me luck, will you? I'll try to post some progress pictures if I can manage to find anything beneath all of these supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment